Surgical risks of lefort 1 / MMA ?

« Older   Newer »

1. zdrowie

User deleted

Hey,

first of all unfortunately i dont speak any italian and probably never will because when its half as complicated as latin its impossible to learn. therefore i hope its okay if i adress my question in english. im quit optimistic that my question can be answered here because this forum seems to be very good informed about jaw surgeries.

my question is about the riks considering lefort 1 / maxillarymandibular advancement

appearing to several websites there is a danger that you will be blind after a lefort 1 surgery which really suprised me because the cut or fracture of a lefort 1 / mma surgery isnt in the near of the eye at all:

mma-surgery-maxillo-mandibular-advancement-diagram

but still its reported:

Blindness associated with Le Fort I osteotomy was reported in 8 patients.

w ww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17499529

During the past 4 years, 94 cleft patients with maxillary hypoplasia received Le Fort I osteotomy and distraction osteogenesis at the authors' center. Two of them developed blindness after this operation.

w ww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11818854

he says ths main risk of blindness comes from the pterygomaxillary dysjunction. the optic nerve runs throigh it so if it gets fractured your finished. he also said blindness with lefort 1 have ths same risk. he said blindness is more common with lefort 1 since thats a more common procedure.

jawsurgeryforums.com/index.php/topic,2626.30.html

How can this be? How high are the dangers of getting blind after a MMA-Surgery? What is pterygomaxillary dysjunction?

Im not a english native speaker, so if something is unclear or not understandable feel free to ask. i'll try to make my question more precise.

thank you very much in advance for your answers.

2. PatrickB

User deleted

zdrowie, your english is perfect.

Blindness associated to lefort1 is possible, however extremely, extremely rare and you shouldn't be worried by it.

There are so many more common risks however...the trigeminal nerve could be completely cut and that's a key nerve that transmits "signals" to the brain and regulates melatonin and seratonin..

Your bone could not "fuse" well.

Sensibility and mobility of the lips may be compromised.

Teeth may not recover completely .

On and on. Risks are endless, the procedure is EXTREMELY invasive and recovery is hard. do it only if it's very necessary because of function or really compromised aesthetics.

3. zdrowie

User deleted

QUOTE (PatrickB @ 21/4/2015, 22:53) 

Blindness associated to lefort1 is possible, however extremely, extremely rare and you shouldn't be worried by it.

There are so many more common risks however...the trigeminal nerve could be completely cut and that's a key nerve that transmits "signals" to the brain and regulates melatonin and seratonin..

On and on. Risks are endless, the procedure is EXTREMELY invasive and recovery is hard. do it only if it's very necessary because of function or really compromised aesthetics.

Thanks for your respond.

Jesus, this sounds horrible. but with a experienced surgeon u can minimize these risks i guess. the probability that your
    trigeminal nerve gets completly cut is probably clear under 10% ?

is it possible that the joint of the jaw can be negativly infected by an mma in a long term? i mean the the jaw will grow a few mm but the joint wont. so the wole biomechanics of the jaw will change. anything reported or can this be ignored?

4. PatrickB

User deleted

CITAZIONE (zdrowie @ 22/4/2015, 23:19) 
    CITAZIONE (PatrickB @ 21/4/2015, 22:53) 

Thanks for your respond.

Jesus, this sounds horrible. but with a experienced surgeon u can minimize these risks i guess. the probability that your
    trigeminal nerve gets completly cut is probably clear under 10% ?

is it possible that the joint of the jaw can be negativly infected by an mma in a long term? i mean the the jaw will grow a few mm but the joint wont. so the wole biomechanics of the jaw will change. anything reported or can this be ignored?

Indeed, you are correct.
    Both of your assumptions are correct.

There was a study by Dr. woldorf who assessed joint health of patients who underwent mma and in general, their situation slightly worsened.

The strenght of your joint will be assessed, this is why i don't like Dr. arnett's approach to surgery.

5. zdrowie

User deleted

There was a study by Dr. woldorf who assessed joint health of patients who underwent mma and in general, their situation slightly worsened.

what do you mean with slightly worsened? like developing a arthrosis?

4 replies since 21/4/2015, 19:13   1168 views